VECTIBIX® and MVASITM, a total mCRC solution with proven favorable patient outcomes
Leveraging on 40+ years of biotechnological experience, Amgen has long been exploring impactful solutions for treating life-threatening illnesses, particularly in developing originator biologics and biosimilars to serve metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) patients.1,2
Vectibix®, the first fully human monoclonal antibody to epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR), is an originator developed by Amgen for treating RAS-wide type mCRC.3,4 As first-line treatment, Vectibix® achieves early tumor shrinkage (ETS) and increases surgical resectability with FOLFOX4.5,6 In the PRIME study, 59% of RAS-wide type patients on Vectibix® + FOLFOX4* achieved ETS ≥30% in 8 weeks vs. 38% in the FOLFOX4* only group (95% CI: 12.7-30.9; p<0.001).5
MVASITM, an anti-vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) monoclonal antibody introduced by Amgen, is the first approved bevacizumab biosimilar in treating mCRC with proven efficacy, safety, immunogenicity and potency similar to originator in various studies.7-10 In the MAPLE study, the efficacy of MVASITM was 39.0%, while the reference product was 41.7%, showing an equivalence in objective response rate (ORR).9 Also noteworthy is that MVASITM offers a potentially more affordable treatment to patients.9
With Vectibix® and MVASITM, a total mCRC solution is made available to both RAS wildtype and mutant type metastatic colorectal cancer..4,11
For more information about the medications, please refer to the full prescribing Information.
*FOLFOX4: oxaliplatin 85mg/m2 IV infusion on day 1 and leucovorin 200mg/m2 (or equivalent) IV infusion followed by fluorouracil 400mg/m2 IV bolus and 600mg/m2 22-hour continuous infusion on days 1 and 2.5 Repeat every 2 weeks.5
Please scan the below QR codes for the prescribing information of MVASITM and Vectibix®
This is an educational material to HCPs sponsored by Amgen Hong Kong Limited, for the purpose of continuing medical education only
- About Amgen – Leaders in Biotechnology. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PROTZvMDKhE&ab_channel=Amgen. Accessed May 10, 2021.
- The Next Generation of Biomanufacturing at Amgen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2_a13bTyu4&ab_channel=Amgen. Accessed May 10, 2021.
- Cohenuram M, Saif MW. Panitumumab the first fully human monoclonal antibody: from the bench to the clinic. Anticancer Drugs. 2007;18(1):7-15.
- Vectibix® Hong Kong prescribing information. April 2018.
- Douillard JY et al. Impact of early tumour shrinkage and resection on outcomes in patients with wild-type RAS metastatic colorectal cancer. Eur J Cancer. 2015;51(10):1231-1242.
- Rivera F et al. Final analysis of the randomised PEAK trial: overall survival and tumour responses during first-line treatment with mFOLFOX6 plus either panitumumab or bevacizumab in patients with metastatic colorectal carcinoma. Int J Colorectal Dis. 2017;32(8):1179-1190.
- European Commission Approves Amgen And Allergan's MVASI® (Biosimilar Bevacizumab) For The Treatment Of Certain Types Of Cancer. https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/european-commission-approves-amgen-and-allergans-mvasi-biosimilar-bevacizumab-for-the-treatment-of-certain-types-of-cancer-300584896.html. Accessed May 10, 2021.
- FDA approves first biosimilar for the treatment of cancer. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-biosimilar-treatment-cancer. Accessed May 10, 2021.
- Thatcher N et al. Efficacy and Safety of the Biosimilar ABP 215 Compared with Bevacizumab in Patients with Advanced Nonsquamous Non-small Cell Lung Cancer (MAPLE): A Randomized, Double-blind, Phase III Study. Clin Cancer Res. 2019;25(7):2088-2095.
- Seo N et al. Analytical and functional similarity of Amgen biosimilar ABP 215 to bevacizumab. MAbs. 2018;10(4):678-691.
- MVASITM Hong Kong prescribing information. February 2021.